It is likely that with time the Ancient Astronauts realized in order to teach as well as make their creations self-sufficient that they would have to make hidden bases on this world. Since they unlike their human creations could not reproduce, their populations remained small. Their form or reproduction was through cloning of themselves, but only small groups stayed loyal to the original design. In addition, they saw that given certain circumstances humans could threaten their own lives if given the opportunity. Thus as they set out to start humans on their way to civilization they chose to take on the personas of gods. This is probably what happened in this case. Some ancient cults are believed to have been started by ET visits. The use of the terms ET and Ancient Astronaut are interchangeable as they mean the same thing in this story. One of the most important gods of the Tiwanaku was the god Viracocha the god of action, shaper of many worlds, and destroyer of many worlds.
Statues of Viracocha at Tiwanaku
The Inca, who later ruled the region, believed that Tiwanaku was built not by an earlier civilization, but by the god Viracocha himself. For the Inca, Tiwanaku was the place where the first humans were created and the capital from which Viracocha reigned over his civilization. However, he ruled in reality as the Supreme Leader of the Ancient Astronaut base in that area. The Inca or people of Tiwanaku would have considered anyone who possessed the power of futuristic technology a god. Cuzco the Inca capitol is said to have been founded by messengers of the Sun god. Select people in these civilizations could be the apprentices of the Sun god or the Ancient Astronauts themselves made to look like the local population. Inca tradition said the Ancient Astronauts were light skinned and bearded with auburn hair.
Supreme Leader Viracocha
They believed Viracocha created people, with two servants, on a great piece of rock. Then he drew sections on the rock and sent his servants to name the tribes in those areas. Therefore, it appears there were Ancient Astronaut expeditions going into the area to instruct the people.
The geography of Bolivia is unique among the nations of South America. Bolivia is one of two landlocked countries on the continent, and Bolivia is more rural than urban. The main features of Bolivia's geography include the Altiplano (or high plains), a highland plateau of the Andes and Lake Titicaca (Lago Titicaca), the largest lake in South America and the highest commercially navigable lake on Earth (which it shares with Peru).
Tiwanaku Altiplano Panorama.
Nestled in a Bolivian highland valley 13,000 feet above sea level, the broad altiplano of Tiwanaku is defined on three sides by mountain ranges and on the fourth by Lake Titicaca.
Map of Modern Bolivia
The most prominent feature of the Altiplano is the large lake at its northern end, Lake Titicaca. At 3,810 m (12,500 ft) above sea level, it is the highest commercially navigable body of water in the world. With a surface area of 9,064 km2 (3,500 sq. mi), it is larger than Puerto Rico and is South America's largest lake. At 810 m (12,500 ft) above sea level, it is the highest commercially navigable body of water in the world.
Detail map of Lake Titicaca area
Five major river systems feed into Lake Titicaca. In order of their relative flow volumes, these are Ramis, Coata, Ilave, Huancané, and Suchez. More than 20 other smaller streams empty into Titicaca, and the lake has 41 islands, some of which are densely populated. The lake is composed of two nearly separate sub-basins that are connected by the Strait of Tiquina, which is 800 m (2,620 ft) across at the narrowest point. The larger sub-basin, Lago Grande (also called Lago Chucuito) has a mean depth of 135 m (443 ft) and a maximum depth of 284 m (932 ft). The smaller sub-basin, Wiñaymarka (also called Lago Pequeño, "little lake") has a mean depth of 9 m (30 ft) and a maximum depth of 40 m (131 ft). The overall average depth of the lake is 107 m (351 ft).
Photo of Lake Titicaca from space
Having only a single season of free circulation, the lake is monomictic, (monomictic lakes are holomictic lakes that mix from top to bottom during one mixing period each year). Water passes through Lago Huiñaimarca and flows out a single outlet into the Desaguadero River, which then flows south through Bolivia to Lake Poopó. This only accounts for about 10% of the lake's water balance. Evapotranspiration, (the process of transferring moisture from the earth to the atmosphere by evaporation of water and transpiration from plants) caused by strong winds and intense sunlight at altitude, balances the remaining 90% of the water output. It is nearly a closed lake.